Friday, June 02, 2006

A Harsh Dose of Reality

*Warning: Parental Advisory - Explicit Lyrics* <---that an="" honest="" p="" s="" warning="">
I was watching a show on VH1 called Hip Hop Videos: Sexploitations on the Set. It was a show that talked about how poorly the women in rap videos were treated. They were propostitioned, degraded, and exploited. They were used for their voluptuousness, if that is a word. (*whispering* that means they had big boobs and butts...) It was basically a show that had women on there complaining about the atmosphere they had to work in. Tight clothes, booty shakin, sexual advances.

All I have to say to the women that had these things happen to them is: DUH! The show actually made me quite angry because they put the blame squarely on the shoulders of the Rappers and Producers. Well let me make a point...If there weren't women willing to strip down to nothing and shake it and get exploited then there wouldn't be any videos like that. It is the classic case of placing blame on someone other than me. Did you HAVE to audition for the "Big Pimpin'" video or the "Shake it like a Salt Shaker" video? No. And even if you didn't know what song it was and you got on set and saw that they wanted you to wear next to nothing and dance on a pole, you really didn't have to stay and do it did you?

YOU CAN'T MAKE CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP WITH OUT THE MUSHROOMS! If you don't get the analogy then simply replace the words "cream of mushroom soup" with "a video with half naked chicks dancing erotically" and "the mushrooms" with "half naked chicks dancing erotically," and you'll figure it out I hope.

I'm not saying the rappers and producers shouldn't be help somewhat accountable. After all, they are the one's providing and expecting that type of environment. But don't make a whole show and say its not partially the girls faults for doing it! If you don't make that type of environment available, it's hard to sustain one. One of the girls on the show that was being interviewed and did quite a bit of complaining had a t-shirt that had a picture of a lime or something and said "Sqeeze Me" right across the boobs...I'm sorry but I don't feel bad for you at all. I can't sit there and listen to you complain about how demeaning it was for you on the set of countless videos when:
A) YOU KEPT GOING BACK TO THESE VIDEO SHOOTS and
B) YOU'RE WEARING THAT SHIRT

I had to say something.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

well, brotha, I guess you're right. What up with those chicks?!? It's exhausting.

I'm just gonna stop right there.

stop.