Friday, February 12, 2010

Caleb Reeve P.I.

Last week there was an emergency at my place of business. We were running low on available private investigators and had a case up in Idaho that needed to be done. I told my boss I'd go if he needed me. So I got a call at about 12:15am saying I was being called in for duty.

I initially joined this company, Tinsley Investigative Services, to be a PI back in 2004 but my prior criminal record allowed me to get my license denied. So I stayed on with the company and served legal papers while I finished out school. I then moved to AZ for 3 years and when I got laid off and couldn't find a decent job in AZ, I made the call and joined forces again with Tinsley.

I reapplied for a license because it had been several years since my run ins with the Man, so I figured I would be on the fast track to getting a PI license. But again, the State of Utah found me to be unfit. So I stayed on serving papers and joined up with the TIS sister company Centurion Security.

I hold many positions and titles here for both companies: Fleet manager, Process Service Manager, Mobile Patrol Supervisor, Director of Marketing, and now Private Investigator.

You see, in Idaho there is not statute that requires a person to be a licensed investigator. Now, that is not to say I just got sent up there with a "good luck kid," salute. I have been trained in the ways of investigations. From mobile surveillance to pre-texting, vantage points, pertinent footage capture, and more. So I wasn't being sent in blind.

The long drive to western Idaho isn't one I enjoy but when I got there things started happening. The man I was investigating, I was told, was faking a neck injury possibly. Reportedly a couple bails of hay fell on his head and he broke a couple vertebrae but this man was out playing basketball. I found him at his sister's home. He appeared when a taxi came to pick him up and take him to his doctor's appointment.

I followed him to the appointment, he looked hurt to me, but I am there to get footage and the the insurance company and the courts decide if there is abuse of the system. He used a walker and had the assistance of a friend the whole time. I caught him on tape exiting the medical building and getting into the cab, and then again at his sister's home exiting the cab. All in all I got about 15 minutes of quality footage of him moving around.

It made for a long day because after the 3.5 hour drive to Idaho, 7 hours of surveillance, I still had to drive home and the weather was coming. I had to deal with several areas of heavy snow on lonely highways. But I made good time and good money and closed the case with ease.

I would say it was a successful stake out and operation. I know my boss appreciated my willingness to help. That's how we roll here. This is a fun job.


Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

Kara said...

Awesome. I've often wondered how "fun" PI work actually is. But I would think that the adrenaline is enough force to make the 7 hour drive! So, was he faking or not? Was he really injured? Or are you not allowed to talk about that without killing me after?

Weird other comments, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Not bad article, but I really miss that you didn't express your opinion, but ok you just have different approach