Friday, February 10, 2012

Pick of the Chocolate Litter

So I open this box of chocolates that I got from my dad. (more on that later.) There are only 10 to choose from and with the things, you never really know what you are going to get.

Which one do you choose first? Round, rectangle, oval?  I have found that shape has less and less to do with what is in the middle than it used to.  I like the caramels...though I have warmed up and become more appreciative of all the flavors.  Those caramels used to be the square ones.  Not anymore.  The rules have changed for some reason and unfortunately this box of chocolates doesn't have the magical chocolate decoding legend.  Si it becomes a guessing game at this point.

So in my deduction process, I'm hoping its the worst one. If it is the worst one then there are a bunch of others and my eating experience will go way up. That is what I am looking for.  So I choose a dark chocolate oval looking one in hopes its filled with marshmallow.  It wasn't. It was a perfectly delicious piece of coconut.  As I took a bite I was a little sad because I knew that marshmallow or strawberry nougat thing was still in there and I had eating one I thought was clearly superior.

The whole thing is like watching an episode of Deal or No Deal. Your heart goes out for the person when the pick a suitcase and it ends up being the $250,000 case.  Now you're out a hot chick AND a quarter-mil.  You haven't thrown out the million but the $1 case is still out there.

I guess when you plan on eating the whole box in one sitting it matters a little bit less...

*     *     *

While I'm on the subject of eating chocolates, I want to give you a little advice.
1.  Don't be a person that takes a bite of one and puts it back.
2.  Don't poke them with your finger.
I don't care if it is your own box.  Its not classy.  Be bold. Eat the whole thing.

 *      *      *
My dad, for as long as I can remember, has bought each of his children a box of Russell Stover chocolates for Valentines Day.  They are nothing extravagant, maybe a box of 10 or so. But he is consistent.  Consistency,  is one of the things I value most in life.  When something is there because it has always been there.  I appreciate the thought and the sentiment.

I'm 32. I don't need a heart shaped box of candy from my dad.  But with out him I wouldn't ever have a box. I think my dad is the only person who has ever bought me a box of chocolates for Valentine's day. Ever.

He knows I don't need it. But it is something he does. He always remembers.  And you know what?  I love getting it.  I always chuckle when it comes in the mail because I never remember it is coming.  It always makes me smile. It is always there. Every year.  Thanks Dad!

PS - I finished the box. Your preparations and anticipation of the event got the best of me nearly a week before the 14th!

No comments: