Monday, September 17, 2007

Poem of the Week - Part 3 - Restless

Week 3. Well, I knew last week would get me in a little trouble but it aint no thang. Everything is everything.

This week…let’s see…Ah yes. This one is relevant and recently on my mind. I wrote this poem a few years back. I was still living in Utah I suppose and I went back home to Alamo for a short visit. I show up at church and I see this girl and I am struck down with a familiar feeling. You see I can fall for a girl in a glance. Usually it is because of a pretty smile attached to a pretty face. I know exactly what I like and when I see it…I don’t know why but it hits me like, BAM!

There she was. I got nervous for a good reason…she was gorgeous. I had never seen her before which made me feel like I had been cheated my whole life. I didn’t know there were ones like this out there!

Anyways, I probed and found out a little bit about her. Her name was (and I suppose it still is) Ariel. Yes, just like the Little Mermaid. She did have a Disney Princess thing going on...like, I don't think she is real. I didn’t have much of an opportunity to talk to her. It all kind of just happened and was over with nothing to show for it.

A few hours later, with her face still fresh in my mind, I got on a plane to head back to Utah and I wrote this poem about her. There were bits of prophesy which came true. I never did lay eyes on her again.

Restless

I can’t sleep
I can’t get comfortable
I can’t even speak
I can’t believe my eyes
Awestruck, frozen, un-fearless
And intimidated needless to say
I have so much to say
And no way to make words
Courage, in a time like this
Would be a guilty pleasure
More wasted feelings

It’s likely my eyes
Will never have that pleasure again
Sometimes a memory isn’t enough
I crave for more
I long for something to remind me
Did I really just see her?
You are more than beautiful
As you fade away
Isn’t there another way?

I lived in Utah, she in California and if I recall I she may have had an on-again-off-again boyfriend which complicated the situation. I guess our moms knew each other so I got her email address and we emailed a few times and that is the story.

The reason this poem is on my mind because a couple of weeks ago I have some strange married lady with a kid add me to her friends list on myspace. About a week ago I ask her if I know her. That sort of hurt her feelings because I didn’t remember her. She jogged my memory and it all came rushing back to me. It was her...and here she is. Click!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

It is funny how you run into people again at the most random times. Rob and I were visiting with Matt and Lisa last month and they mentioned you had a blog. I thought I would check it out. I knew you were a rapper and a chef, but I never knew you were such a poet... pretty neat.

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mardi and Jeremey said...

I didn't know you were so romantic. I really liked your poem. I hope things are going well down there. We really miss you around here. You should check out our blog http://jeremeyandmardi.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I had to go over and check out that face. she is beautiful enough to inspire poetry.

Ariel said...

I finally got around to reading this...very sweet, and at the time, the feeling was mutual. Keep up the poetry...it is great!